Countdown Til Euen's First Birthday

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, August 1, 2011

Carbohydrate Counting

A major part of the being diabetic is associated with food. That is why on top of my list of things to do is to meet with the nutritionist. The appointment with the dietician has taught me all the information that I need for my diet and meal plan.

Based on weight and list of day to day activites, the number of calories needed per day is computed. This number is then broken down into the three basic food groups: carbohydrates, protein and fat. Since I am pregnant, the goal is not to lose/gain weight. Just retain my current weight. This is, until the end of the first trimester.

Since carbohydrates mainly affects the blood glucose, it should be monitored: thus the carb counting. 1 carb choice = 15 grams of carbohydrates. This conversion makes all the numbers simpler. The total number of carbohydrates, divided into choices, is distributed into six meals a day for me: breakfast, lunch, dinner and three snacks in between.

I should be able to count the carb choices in the food that I am eating, minding not to eat too much or too little. A list of common foods, with 1 carb choice is provided. Also, I should learn to read more on the nutritional labels on foods.

It seems complicated enough because of the numbers, but it gets more complicated due to the fact that you have to count the carbohydrates in whatever it is you're eating. But, I think I'm getting the hang of it. Goodluck to me!



No comments:

Post a Comment