Countdown Til Euen's First Birthday

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Reminiscing with Churros Con Chocolate

When I was little, I spend summer vacations at my grandparents' house in Labo. This is in La Loma, Quezon City. I look forward to these days because I get to spend time with Mamang, Daddy, Tita Bebe, my other Tito's and Tita's, my cousins and my favorite cousin, Ate Deeday.

Ate Deeday. Yes, she was the Ate that I look up to. She had all the toys that I never had, Barbie/s with a big doll house, with all the clothes, shoes and accessories. She had the complete series of the Nancy Drew books. We were partners in crime and we would stay up late doing anything we want. I also get to go with them on Ate's voice lessons in Yamaha, SM North Edsa/Centerpoint. Or watch her Tae Kwon Do lessons. Usually, I would just wait and watch. Afterwards, we eat and they treat me. Tita and Ate would always have favorite restaurants that I never knew. Back then, dining out means eating a one-piece fried chicken and rice on a specific fast-food chain.

Thus, it's Tita and Ate who introduced me to Dulcinea. Dulcinea has been around since 1960's and they serve mostly Spanish-Fusion menu combined. I liked their deserts: cakes, cream puff and eclair. But their famous Churros Con Chocolate is the best! As a child then, I loved it and looked forward to the days when Tita or Ate would crave for Churros.

Today, we passed by Dulcinea and decided to have desert there. Since it is the "Love-Month", the churros were heart-shaped and looked extra-special. As I dipped each one and took a bite on cruncy thinly fried pastry, memories of my childhood days in La Loma came back to me. Feeling like a child again, as I savored the bittersweet chocolate dip, there was also this tinge in my heart, mostly because of the happy thoughts and memories back then.

1 comment: