Countdown Til Euen's First Birthday

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Proud Ate

Ever since I can remember, I was only referred to as an “Ate,” i.e. yung ate ko… But I was never really called one. I think my parents forgot to teach this to my sisters. They just call me by my first name/nickname. I am not ranting though. To be honest, I do not feel an “Ate” at most times, with these two sisters.

We all studied on the same schools during elementary and high school. But these two, they had medals and awards, and they belong to the popular group. They both graduated as scholars in college, after exactly four years. To date, one of them works for a multi-national pharmaceutical company, following, and exceeding the footsteps of our mom, and the other one is on public relations for one of the largest automobile manufacturers in the world.

What will be their most recent achievement is buying a new house, adding up their savings for an initial payment, and having the guts to get a loan for the remaining balance. I love the house ++++ plus, the location. I am hoping and praying, and keeping my fingers crossed, that Papa would agree to live with them so that we’ll be nearer to each other.

Yes, I am a proud “Ate.” For the successes and achievements of my sisters. I see a combination of Mommy’s traits on both of them. Lij’s strong will and courage while Cherub’s charisma and wit. I look up to them in most ways.

We lost our mommy nine years ago. We have our dad, who is a constant reminder of our mommy (being the opposite of her). But mommy told us that we should take care of each other. Being the eldest, I did not have to stand as a mother to my sisters. Obviously, there is no need. Aside from the fact that there is no replacement for our mother, having each other, ---supporting each other, being always present in good and bad times, standing by each one's decision--- that is enough to keep our lives going.

I am proud, not only because of my sisters’ accomplishments in life, but also because they are my sisters. Not only because of the same blood that runs through our veins that connects us, but also because of our hearts that are bonded with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment